Skip to main content

Class Blogs Wiki - linking classes together

I was looking for inspiration for my class blog. One of the children had written a story and I posted on twitter.
Richard, a boy in my class who was 'allergic' to writing in detail, had posted a story off his own back and was developing his own style. I wanted to share this - for him.

He isn't the most confident of children and I knew that if he felt that he was valued as an author, it would encourage him to write more.


I didn't expect 13 comments. The response was overwhelming and it got me thinking. We should do this more as a class, but I only know a few blogs made by other schools.



So I tweeted again, using a hashtag of #classlinkup to encourage other teachers to share their blog addresses and therefore provide a comprehensive list of blogging schools for everyone to use.

This was taken up by a lot of people, who added their own class blogs to the list.














Evolution.

Then a chance comment by Oliver Quinlan @oliverquinlan got me thinking. I know there are lots of people out there who share and communicate with others well. But what about those who are like me? Willing and wanting to share, but not sure where to start.

So I made a wiki. It's called http://classblogs.wikispaces.com and it's only been going a few hours. The idea is that people all over the world can add their class blogs to it, and it'll make it easier to search for a specific year group, or topic.


If you want to add your school to the wiki, please do so. But can I ask a favour too? Please can you add a badge to your site, showing that you're linked to the wiki?
All you need to do is go to this page past the large image badge into a text box on your blog. Linking up will make us connect our children's learning.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post. I can't wait to see you added to the wiki.

Comments

  1. Hi! Just stumbled on your blog. Love the idea of classes blogging (Am still doing my degree here, so don't have a class- yet)... I read somewhere yesterday (I can't recall where, have seen many sites in the last 24 hours! Epic research spree) of a potential pitfall for class blogs linking up, if other classes get points/rewards/whatever for commenting. I recall someone saying that they got a lot of superficial comments on their students' work that would read: "Great writing! Pls comment back!" in order to just get comments.
    I found it! Here: http://www.joebower.org/2011/01/lessons-i-learned-from-my-students.html
    Anyway, just thought I'd share! Love the classblogs main picture, too. Very cute!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

100WCGU wk #20

The prompt this week is to use at least one of these for inspiration. …the powers that be  /  the apple of his eye  /   the writing on the wall… It was early in the Autumn When she took herself away. The trees in our orchard cried leaves for her; She was the apple of their eye , their Mistress. She said it was, "Inevitable". Powers that be had deemed it so and so it was Fruitless to pursue it. Her one way trip. The marks of her passing are writ large on the cold orchard wall s. They are writ larger, though, in me.

100 WCGU wk 21

This week's challenge is a picture prompt. I quite like picture prompts, they allow so many tangents. Our classrooms are windows. Children's views are shaped by the pictures we paint, the opportunities they envisage. We are responsible for the window's upkeep: treat it with consistent care and attention and it will open seamlessly to worlds that are beyond their wildest dreams; leave it untouched and those worlds will remain forever out of reach.  The window is open to the world to view, some outsiders simply point out what is missing from times they spent inside. Others like to castigate and deride. Most smile knowingly, remembering with fondness the people who opened windows for them. People like us.

Independent Learning

This evening on #ukedchat, the discussion was about 'independent learning' or 'IL' and it's importance in the curriculum. In my opinion IL is an umbrella title, one so multi-faceted that we probably need to invest a lot of time determining the rationale behind it. One point that came across was from Miles Berry that Independent Learning is something innate, present from birth as a survival mechanism so teaching it is contradictory. This is something that I agree with and yet we are in a system that has institutionalised our lives to the point where children are taught out of this. They become so reliant on being told what, when and how to do things, that they forget what they are genetically programmed to do. And there's my mistake. I'm talking about these children in the third person. The point is that we have all fallen into the habit of providing knowledge as teachers. There is no blame associated with this, we are as caught up in the status quo as