Skip to main content

Effective Behaviour Management starts with consistency.




Every classroom I've been in has rules. Some are phrased as a positive statement "we are good listeners", others are more clear cut, "Don't rock on your chair". Teachers view these are the backbone of the classroom. Their proverbial rod of iron, so to speak. In one class I went into, they had a full display board of rules. 15 of them. In my opinion that's way too many.


As an NQT my main focus was to be a good teacher by ensuring my teaching happened. I needed rules that allow me to teach the lessons I'd planned. Nothing  unusual about that. But the interesting thing was, one year, I didn't put up my class rules display (I had 7 rules on my display and I think it's probably lurking on TES resources or primary resources or somewhere) and the strangest thing happened... The class did as I expected them to do without the big list of things they had to do.


Instead, I invested in them. I created private spaces in class that they owned, that I wouldn't go in unless I asked them. These were nothing more than a tray with their name on, but the simple act of explicitly making it private meant there was significantly more value attached to it than a normal tray would  have. The other staff also respected these spaces and as a result, they had ownership (physically) of the classroom and also the beginnings of respecting a shared space.


So what has this got to do with rules? Lots actually. It prompted me to look at the need for rules. Why did I no longer need to refer to a definitive list of rules? What had changed? What was I doing that was different? The answer was nothing had changed. I have always set my stall out and stuck to my word. 


It is actually the act of being consistent in your approach, coupled with clear expectations that ensures good behaviour management. I know this all seems common sense and it's nothing new to those of us in the job, but here are my tips for effective classroom management.


1. Be consistent: if you say you don't accept that type of behaviour, there had to be a consequence for the offender's actions. Don't move from your position, but also, don't put yourself in untenable situations. Similarly, praise will be valued, not when it is lavished upon them, but when it is hard earned. Praise the small things, they are more important. The big things will follow, I promise.


2. Care: obvious, right? But vitally important. If you care, they care back; it's human nature. 


3. Embody the values that you want them to value. If you ask them to say please and thank you, do it too. To everyone, without exception. They will copy you.


4. Create a class identity. Don't say 'my' class, say 'our' class. Talk openly about the classroom being their space as well. Perhaps create a class parody of a popular song, or a poem that includes them in it.


5. Value their work. Display it. Get parents in to see it. Photocopy it and send it home. 


6. Don't tell them lies. Even when you want to. 


These are some of the things I do. I now have two rules in my classroom. Always try your best & be honest in all things.


That applies to everyone, teachers and pupils alike.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

100WCGU wk #20

The prompt this week is to use at least one of these for inspiration. …the powers that be  /  the apple of his eye  /   the writing on the wall… It was early in the Autumn When she took herself away. The trees in our orchard cried leaves for her; She was the apple of their eye , their Mistress. She said it was, "Inevitable". Powers that be had deemed it so and so it was Fruitless to pursue it. Her one way trip. The marks of her passing are writ large on the cold orchard wall s. They are writ larger, though, in me.

100 word challenge

Little puffs of brown meander their way to the hardening ground. The vibrant colours of endless summer have abandoned the world. Muted, the autumn leaves lead us inexorably towards the bleakness of winter. Our world is numbing. Fingers creep inside pockets. Coat buttons are done up. Smiles become grimaces.

100 WCGU wk 21

This week's challenge is a picture prompt. I quite like picture prompts, they allow so many tangents. Our classrooms are windows. Children's views are shaped by the pictures we paint, the opportunities they envisage. We are responsible for the window's upkeep: treat it with consistent care and attention and it will open seamlessly to worlds that are beyond their wildest dreams; leave it untouched and those worlds will remain forever out of reach.  The window is open to the world to view, some outsiders simply point out what is missing from times they spent inside. Others like to castigate and deride. Most smile knowingly, remembering with fondness the people who opened windows for them. People like us.